De kleine ontdekkingsreis / A little voyage of discoveries: tours available in English!
What and who?
“Excursions to the world nearby: an eye for architecture, art and interesting details in our daily surroundings”
On the walking and bicycle tours, Francis likes to show people how easy it is to make small discoveries in our daily surroundings. Her motto is: there is a lot to see and to enjoy when you are on your way from A to B, if you have an eye for detail.
The focus is on architecture from the period between (roughly) 1850 and 1950. In this period cities in Holland started to expand rapidly, and this brought along various new styles of architecture and art. Artists and craftsmen produced beautiful ornamentations like stained glass, woodwork, masonry, sculptures, arts and crafts-decorations etc. In the beginning of the 20th century, revolutionary modern styles of architecture started to develop, both in Holland and in other countries. Several Dutch architects played a leading role in this development.
My name is Francis van der Hout. Although not an architect myself, I have always had a special interest in architecture. In recent years I have been co-operating on a booklet called “Struinen door het Statenkwartier”. In this neighbourhood, the Statenkwartier, I have also organised a stained glass event (twice), and many other walking tours (both in Dutch and English).
Tours, cost and booking
All the tours on the website
can be guided in English. A walk takes about 1,5 hours, a bicycle tour takes about 3,5 -4 hours (plus 1 hour optional lunchbreak). I prefer to start my tours with a short introduction (approx. 10 minutes) in a place (café, your office etc) where there’s a possibility for the participants to sit. The maximum number of participants on my tours is 15 (biketours) to 25 people (walking tours).
- Statenkwartier (around 1900: turrets, bay windows, stained glass, art nouveau-details)
- Zeeheldenkwartier (just before 1900: quarter with great diversity)
- Benoordenhout (contrasts in architecture just before and just after 1900)
- Centre: shop architecture (art nouveau and other beautiful details)
- Centre: facade sculptures (amazing sculptures just above your head)
- Artwalk Kennedylaan (just like an open air museum)
- “Makerskwartier” (designersdistrict in the old heart of the City)
- Berlage : famous Dutch architect, beginning of the 20th century. En route you can enjoy both his architecture (e.g. Gemeentemuseum) and the beautiful scenery of The Hague
- Bridges & Sculptures : enjoying The Hague, sculptured bridges and other art in public space
Walking tours: € 15,00 p.p, with a minimum of € 60,00 and a maximum of € 120,00
Biketours: € 20,00 p.p., with a minimum of € 80,00 and a maximum of € 160,00
VAT included; bicycle rent and consumptions not included
Just contact Francis to discuss the possibilities: firstname.lastname@example.org