The Barthkapel is a green, quiet oasis in the center of The Hague. The chapel and adjoining garden used to belong to the old convent of the Sisters of Charity of Saint Charles Borromeo, a Roman Catholic sister congregation from Maastricht. Today, the Barth Chapel is managed by the Foundation for the Preservation of Valuable Heritage, which rents out the space for concerts and other cultural activities. The entrance to the chapel and the city garden is somewhat hidden on the Brouwersgracht.
At the beginning of the 20th century, the Charity Sisters, also known as Sisters Under the Bogen, lived and worked in the buildings at Prinsegracht 36 and 38. The Carolus Borromeus chapel was built for them around 1906 at the rear of the nunnery, such as the The chapel, built in neo-Gothic style, was then called. After the sisters left, the municipality of The Hague wanted to demolish the buildings on the Prinsegracht and the chapel. Plans for new construction were also developed for the monastery garden. Fortunately it didn't come to that. The Barth Chapel is now used as a spiritual, cultural and social center.
The Barthkapel is located in a courtyard behind the Emmaus building on the Prinsegracht. The chapel is accessible via a narrow alley on the Brouwersgracht.