Johan de Witt, Grand Pensionary, lived in Kneuterdrijk from 1669 until his violent death in 1672. The house was originally built in 1655. Walking was ‘not done’ at that time, and this is evidenced by the fact that Johan visited his brother by carriage in the Gevangenpoort, 20 meters from his house. A wall around the outbuildings and the garden can still be seen in the Hartogstraat. Since 1980, the building has been owned by the Kingdom of the Netherlands and is used for representative purposes. In 2017, the building was used for negotiations during the formation of a new cabinet.