Raadhuis De Paauw in Wassenaar has a number of rooms. Due to the construction of a municipal office in 1983, the function of De Paauw was limited to an administrative center, wedding location and reception and exhibition space.
History Town Hall de Paauw
Raadhuis de Paauw has a history of almost half a millennium. In the middle of the 16th century, master Cornelis Arentszoon van der Dussen had a house built, which he called Te Pau. Initially, the surrounding area was 9 hectares, but over time he expanded it to 50 hectares. In 1770 the estate came into the possession of Adriaan Pieter Twent, who also owned other properties in the area. Adriaan had risen to become director of Water Management under King Lodewijk Napoleon. Waterworks constructed by him prevented the area from being flooded every winter. He also took care of the construction of the highway from Wassenaar to The Hague. Twent had the old Te Pau demolished and built a modern country house there.
After his death, the house came into the possession of Prince Frederik, second son of King Willem I. He lived in the house with his family in the summer and had it renovated and enlarged into a real palace. Among other things, the ballroom, now the council chamber, and the Spiegelhal were added to the existing building. Prince Frederik owned the De Paauw estate until 1881, when his daughter Princess Marie inherited the complex. In 1924, the municipality of Wassenaar became the owner of part of the land and the building, which was taken into use as a town hall in July 1925. The other lands were purchased by the then Queen Wilhelmina.
In the 1950s, Raadhuis De Paauw was expanded with a number of rooms. Due to the construction of a municipal office in 1983, the function of De Paauw was limited to an administrative center, wedding location and reception and exhibition space.
Not only is town hall De Paauw interesting in terms of interior and exterior, the surrounding park is also worth a visit. Prince Frederik commissioned the landscape architect Edward Petzold to make the gardens of De Paauw and the adjoining estate De Horsten into a harmonious whole. Petzold sketched a visual axis towards De Horsten, so that De Paauw can still be seen clearly from Rijksstraatweg. The beautiful Princess Garden with statues, temples and pergolas was also laid out. Not everything has stood the test of time, but you can still enjoy some beautiful zinc statues here in the rose garden. Nowadays De Paauw is located in a beautiful park with a beautiful pond and a number of interesting sculptures. The park is open to the public.