Gallery Prince William V ('Galerij Prins Willem V') in The Hague was the first public museum in the Netherlands. In 1774, Dutch stadtholder Willem V, Prince of Orange-Nassau (1748-1806), brought together the key pieces of his painting collection in this building at Buitenhof. The gallery gives a good impression of style in the 18th century, the wig era. As was customary in those days, the walls of the long hall are filled with paintings, frame to frame and from floor to ceiling. The paintings exhibited are mainly from artists who were loved in the 18th century (Jan Steen, Wouwerman, Bloemaert, Willem van de Velde and Gerard ter Borch).