The Nieuwe Kerk ('New Church') in The Hague was built in 1649 after the Great Church had become too small. The construction was completed in 1656. In the 20th century, acoustical adjustments were made to the interior in a modern face. In the thirties the church was notable as the most impressive building on the Spui. The church was closed in 1969 after a long restoration and reopened as a concert hall.