The Hague offers a wealth of impressive art. Be inspired by the special museums and beautiful exhibitions in The Hague!
Cultural treasure chest by the sea
Admire the excellent works of Rembrandt and Vermeer in the Mauritshuis or the largest Mondrian collection in the Kunstmuseum. Discover the largest painting in the Netherlands; Panorama Mesdag. Let your imagination run wild at Escher in the Palast. And discover the pearl in the Scheveningen dunes, Museum Beelden aan Zee.
There is so much to see and experience in the city by the sea, you certainly do not get bored. Do you want to soak up culture? Then there are several museums where you can spend a lot of hours. Here are a few suggestions:
- Kunstmuseum Den Haag is a museum for modern art and crafts. The museum is best known for its collection of works by painters of the Hague School, Mondrian, Picasso, Van Doesburg, Monet and Toorop. The current building, designed by the Dutch architect Berlage, was opened in 1935.
- The Mauritshuis has been a museum since 1822, with mainly paintings from the Golden Age. The permanent collection includes Girl with a Pearl Earring and View of Delft by Johannes Vermeer, 'Soo fed sung, soo na pept' by Jan Steen, The bull by Paulus Potter and The anatomy lesson by Dr. Nicolaes Tulp by Rembrandt van Rijn.
- The Louwman Museum is a museum for automobiles. The museum aims to provide a picture of what the automotive industry has produced since 1887.
- Panorama Mesdag is a cylindrical panorama painting about 14 meters high and with a circumference of 120 meters. The painting, which is one of the oldest surviving panoramas in the world, is a view of the North Sea, the dunes, The Hague and Scheveningen.
- Museum Voorlinden is a private museum for modern and contemporary art on the Estate Voorlinden in Wassenaar. It houses the art collection of Joop van Caldenborgh, the largest private art collection in the Netherlands.
- Escher in the Palace is an art museum on Lange Voorhout. It is housed in the Palace Lange Voorhout, dating from 1764, and since 2002 has housed a permanent exhibition devoted entirely to the work of the Dutch graphic artist Maurits Cornelis Escher.
- The Hague Historical Museum is a museum on the Korte Vijverberg about the history of The Hague. The museum is located in the former Sint Sebastiaansdoelen.
- Phototomuseum The Hague is a museum in the field of photography. The museum was founded in 2002 as part of the Kunstmuseum Den Haag. It organizes approximately six exhibitions per year on the most diverse periods, disciplines and genres of photo history, often focusing on people.
- Prison Gate Museum is a medieval prison. A museum has been located in the building since 1882. The prison gate is close to the Inner Court - Hall of Knights and the Court Pond.
- The Museon is a popular science museum with collections on diverse subjects such as geology, biology, history and much more. The Museon is located between the Kunstmuseum and the Omniversum.
- The Mesdag Collection is the former home of Hendrik Willem Mesdag (1831-1915), painter of seascapes, among other things. Besides being a painter, Mesdag was a great art collector. He had a museum built for his exceptional collection. He built this museum right next to his home and opened it to art lovers in 1887.
There are many more museums to visit, look here for an overview of all museums in The Hague and surroundings
Enter the Virtual Reality experience of The Hague
Step inside the magnificent Peace Palace. Wander the virtual rooms of world-class museums to pay a virtual visit to masterpieces like the Girl with the Pearl Earring. Discover highlights and hidden gems of The Hague on our exclusive VR tour of the city.