The holidays in The Hague such as Christmas will take place in a different form and will have a different meaning this year. There isn't a Cool Event and the Royal Christmas Fair will not take place. We, as editors, want to give you a warm feeling at this time of the year. So, just like every year, we collect a nice overview to enjoy the dark days.
The editors continue to supplement this article with more great tips!
Outings in the Holiday Season
Of course you want to get a breath of fresh air now and then, that is possible with the more than 11 km coastline that we have here in The Hague. If it is too busy, go somewhere else.
There are beautiful parks and gardens in The Hague. Take a look at the overview of the Hague green and go to a location where you have never been before.
It is still uncertain which events will take place, we try to keep the calendar as up to date as possible. Check our calendar for an overview of everything there is to do during the Christmas holidays, but make sure you always enquire at the relevant location about the access rules in advance.
Ideas for gifts from our local entrepreneurs in The Hague
Order something tasty
- The Hague's Bakery Hessing sells delicious products from The Hague. From the well-known Haagsche Kakker (a very moist currant cake) to green-yellow sprinkles. These are original Christmas presents and here you buy them!
- The true coffee lover is never without coffee house. Order a special coffee from Capriole Café and enjoy a nice cup of traditional and sustainable coffee. You can order here.
- Order the most delicious pastry, macarons or chocolate at Patisserie Jarreau in the Benoordenhout
- Christmas is about good food. Make it a party and order delicious pastries at Dudok. Order your delicious apple pie here.
- Chocolate is always great! Give the best chocolate from The Hague and that is all possible at Hop & Stork. Choose from all products here. (Please note that a few of the websites recommended above are portrayed in the Dutch language. When having difficulty with the language barrier, please do not hesitate to contact them directly).
Buy a gift online - Ideas from The Hague for under the Christmas tree
- Typical The Hague and unique gifts are for sale in The Hague Info Store, ordering online is also possible via the webshop. (Please note that the website is in Dutch and orders are delivered within this country).
- Have you drawn a name for someone who is super cool and sporty, take a look at the Hart Beach webshop, there are so many cool things for sale. Dude, how cool!
- The Museum Voorlinden webshop contains postcards, catalogs and access vouchers for a later date. Give a beautiful table book as a gift!
- Escher in het Paleis is a wonderful museum. It is nice to give an Escher gift as a present. How about a watch from Escher, take a look here for the full collection.
- My Buuf is a great project for and by world women. Support them especially now and buy a beautiful original gift made by the women of Mijn Buuf here.
- Many items from De Bijenkorf are for sale online. How they managed to create a wonderful Christmas atmosphere again this year. Take a look at all the Christmas items here, super original!
Give a gift voucher
- You can't go wrong with the VVV gift card! For sale, among others, at our The Hague Info Store.
- Love you to the Moon and back! Give a Penthouse Gift voucher for a high tea, dinner or overnight stay at a great height. At The Penthouse you get very close to the stars! The Hague Boat Gift Card make the perfect gift for any occasion!
Gift tips for the holidays!
Let's make the holidays extra special this year! We are happy to provide you with inspiration for special local gifts. Tips for fun original gifts of The Hague for all ages. This time suggestions for the little ones: a soft cuddly toy stork, a baby grow of the Knight's Hall and nice book in the dialect of The Hague better known as 'Nijntje an zei/ Miffy at the seaside' (NB: Dutch version). When purchasing a gift renowned to The Hague then you often support a local entrepreneur. The products are available at The Hague Info Store and in our webshop.
A fantastic Christmas package
Surprise your colleagues, employees, friends or family with the 'The Hague Holiday Package'. In addition to the The Hague theme and delicacies, the products are also composed with sustainability and recycling in mind. This means that the products are also reusable after the holidays. Also ideal as an end-of-year gift for business relations!
Send an original The Hague Christmas card
We have made a number of beautiful free The Hague Christmas cards for you. Send a postcard by post to family and friends this year. Print them on thicker paper and you have a super original "Hou je Haags/ Keep The Hague going strong" Christmas card.
You can download the free Hague Christmas cards here:
- Christmas card 1 - Noordeinde Palace (with an English Christmas wish)
- Christmas card 2 - The Mauritshuis (with an English Christmas wish)
- Christmas card 3 - Het Plein (with a Christmas wish in the dialect of The Hague)
- Christmas card 4 - The Peace Palace (with a Dutch Christmas wish)
- Christmas card 5 - Ho Ho Keep The Hague going strong card with Santa
- Christmas card 6 - Hou Hou Hou je Haags (Keep The Hague going strong) with Christmas tree