A citytrip doesn't always have to be expensive. Did you know that many well-known sights in the city centre of The Hague and on the beach of Scheveningen and Kijkduin can be visited free of charge? Moreover, you get to see the nicest undiscovered places on a very small budget. Take a quick look at our tips for the best free activities in The Hague!
A day out without pulling at your wallet? The Hague has several sights to offer for which you do not have to pay anything. We have selected the best free attractions for you. Do you have more sugestions or tips? Let us know on Twitter at @thisdenhaag!
- The Binnenhof (Parliament buildings) and the Hofvijver (Court pond) are not to be missed
- Stroll along the most beautiful avenue in the Netherlands; the Lange Voorhout
- Admire the beautiful Art Nouveau buildings in the cosy Zeeheldenkwartier
- The special Japanese Garden can be visited free of charge every spring and autumn
- Take a look at the Van Kleef gin and liqueur distillery
- Just window shop along The Hague Passage
- The Hague Greeters; free and carried out by a resident of The Hague
Enjoy the coast for free
The most beautiful attraction of The Hague is of course the 11 kilometre long coast. Strolling along the boulevard of Scheveningen, cycling through the dunes at Kijkduin and getting a breath of fresh air on the quiet Zuiderstrand: all free and therefore giving you a relaxing holiday feeling!
- From the Pier you can witness a magnificent view of Scheveningen
- Enjoy free sporting competitions at the Beach Stadium in the summertime
- Enjoy cycling through the largest dune area in South Holland
- Staring endlessly at the sky at this special work by James Turrell of art in Kijkduin
- Spotting Scottish highlanders in the protected Westduinpark
- Walk through the harbour of Scheveningen and you will feel as if you are abroad
The Hague has many pleasant markets where everything is for sale. Of course you don't have to buy anything: just strolling around the weekly antique and book market, soak up the atmosphere of the Haagse Markt or get in the mood for the holidays at the annual Christmas market on the Lange Voorhout, is allready nice.
- The Hague Market: the largest commodity market in the Netherlands
- Weekly antique and book market in The Hague city centre
- Royal Christmas Fair: the largest multi-day Christmas market in the Netherlands
Especially for kids
A day out with the children for as cheap as possible? We have selected the best attractions for children in The Hague, Scheveningen and Kijkduin. More tips can be found on our special kids page.
- Wonder rooms in the Kunstmuseum: fantastic outing for children
- Take a look at Ome Jan's special beachcomber's shack
- Avonturia de Vogelkelder: the largest pet store in the Netherlands
- Plenty of place to play at city farm Pluk
- Free exhibitions and kids activities at Dunea visitor centre
- Enjoy playing at the free fairytale sculptures by Tom Otterness on the boulevard
There are plenty of free festivals that take place every year in The Hague and Scheveningen. Certainly during the festival season there is normally a free accessible event to visit every weekend. Below we have listed the eight best free festivals in The Hague.
- The life I live: free music festival on the evening before King's Day
- Liberation Festival: concerts, debates, kids activities and much more
- Jazz in de Gracht: a cosy and relaxing music festival in the city centre
- Parkpop: the largest free pop festival in the Netherlands
- Fireworks festival: this spectacle at the beach takes place for two weekends long
- Prinsjesdag (Budget Day): every third Tuesday in September
- UITfestival The Hague: the annual start of the cultural season
- Kite festival Scheveningen: the largest kite event in the Netherlands
In The Hague you can visit a free live concert almost every day. From pop music in cafes to classical music in churches in The Hague. Our tips for freely accessible performances can be found below, but please also check our concert schedule for more free live music!
- Free live music taking place almost everyday in Hostel The Hague
- Free concerts in the Paard Café on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays
- Live jazz every Monday night at Murphy's Law
- Free cantata services and choir concerts in the Kloosterkerk
- There is a free jazz concert every Sunday in the summertime at beach pavilion De Fuut
In addition to the many museums, The Hague has numerous galleries and cultural institutions where you can enjoy art free of charge. You shouldn't miss these six hotspots if you want to experience free culture!
- Admire art in the famous Pulchri gallery
- Various exhibitions can often be seen in the Atrium (City Hall)
- Kunstcentrum Stroom (Art centre Stroom) organises many free exhibitions and lectures
- Hoogtij : the free cultural route along more than 20 art locations which takes place 4 times a year on Friday evenings
- Haagse Kunstkring: a meeting place for artists and art lovers
Parks and gardens
With thousands of hectares of parks, gardens and estates, The Hague offers plenty of space to enjoy nature. Leave the bustling city life behind and go for a stroll through Clingendael, have a picnic in the King's garden, or relax in Westbroekpark.
- Clingendael: one of the most beautiful estates in the Netherlands
- Take a look at the royal palace in the oldest forest in the Netherlands
- Ockenburgh estate, a protected natural monument where you can take a lovely walk
- Visit the freely accessible palace garden and you might even spot the King
- Westbroekpark is one of the most beautiful parks in The Hague with a lovely rosegarden.